EQUESTRIAN TOURISM IN GALICIA
Table of Contents
HOLIDAYS IN GALICIA ON THE BACK OF A HORSE
Are you planning your vacation in Galicia. But you are already fed up with cars, trains and crowds. You want to go on an adventure and completely submit to nature. So close your eyes and imagine this. You are in a deep forest, surrounded by majestic oaks and birches. You breathe clean, fresh air. You enjoy the serenity and peace of the oak groves. The silence is electrifying. You only hear the wind through the trees, the distant waves of the Atlantic breaking on the cliffs of the Death Coast and the gentle breathing of your four-legged companion. Yes, you understood correctly, an animal. Specifically a horse. Because you got to this magnificent place and away from everything thanks to your admirable muscular strength.
Has this image bewitched you? Well, stay with us! We will teach you how to rediscover the mysterious beautiful Galicia. On the back of a horse you will reach the mythical and wild places that no tourist has stepped on. We will take you out of the comfort zone of the best sites what to see in Galicia and we will offer you a unique and unforgettable experience.
1. WHAT IS EQUESTRIAN TOURISM?
By way of clarification, a brief explanation: what is equestrian tourism in Galicia? The adjective ‘equestrian’, according to the definition of the RAE, means something belonging to or related to horse, in particular to horse riding. Therefore, equestrian tourism in Galicia will represent all the tourist activities that can be carried out with horses. In general, it is almost always about horseback routes, organized in the middle of nature, in areas such as mountains, forests, river or beaches .
2. FOR WHOM?
Do you like the idea but have you never ridden a horse? Don’t worry, equestrian tourism in Galicia is for everyone. In the Galician provinces Horseback riding excursions are organized for all levels, for children and adults. You will only need to feel like and respect the animals. Choose your preferred destination and the right route for your abilities and start your adventure! Below we leave you our proposals for the best places to see in Galicia riding.
Read also : 14 ISLANDS TO VISIT IN GALICIA
Read also :WHY VISIT A CORUÑA
3. THE BEST ROUTES ON HORSEBACK THROUGH GALICIA
All the provinces of Galicia can be visited on horseback, but the best are Pontevedra, A Coruña and Lugo. These provinces have rugged landscapes, huge forests, beaches and cliffs with beautiful views of the Atlantic. Horseback riding along the Costa da Morte or Rías Baixas will allow you to see another face, the wildest of these essential places to see in Galicia. Also, if you spend your holidays in Galicia riding, there is a good chance that you will see a herd of wild horses galloping freely through the valleys and mountains. Now we present the best places for excursions in Pontevedra, A Coruña, Lugo and a little surprise!
● Or Grove – is a municipality in the province of Pontevedra with wonderful estuaries and beaches. In O Grove you can ride a horse through the majestic oak groves or eucalyptus and pine forests. You will contemplate the green part of Galicia, but also its coast. The best places to ride in O Grove are the Estuario beach, on the way to which you can admire the views of the Arousa estuary and the Toxa Island Arousa Island.
● Salnes Valley – In Salnés, after walking the path, do not forget to try the Albariño wine, since the area is full of the vineyards that produce it.
● High Siradella Mountain- another magnificent area of Pontevedra where you can lose yourself in nature. At the end of the journey you will arrive at Lanzada beach with views of Rías Baixas where you will ride along the shore and through the water.
● Val Minor – riding a horse in this area you will feel like a true Galician. Surrounded by fields, forests, meadows and cliffs, without any souvenir shops or other tourist attractions.
● Verdugo River Valley – a very quiet green area, perfect to disconnect and forget everyday problems.
● Pools of Mougás – path along the banks of the Peito River, surrounded by eucalyptus, oak and pine trees, waterfalls. An experience in flat nature.
● Rías Baixas – the essential destination to see in Galicia also has a secret face. Riding on horseback through the estuary of Arousa or Pontevedra you will feel like in the forests of Lord of the Rings.
● Ribeira Sacra– There is no better place to submit to nature than the immense forests of the Ribeira Sacra, south of Lugo. There you will ride along the banks of the Miño River with views of the Cañon do Sil and you will taste the albariño.
● Sierra de Meira
● The Pedregal de Irimia – walk through the mountains, forests subjected to nature and crossing the Galician villages.
● Arteixo – From this municipality we can start the excursions on horseback to the beginning of the Costa da Morte. You can ride along the beaches of Baldaio, Caión and Barrañán with the option of dipping the horse’s hooves in the waters of the Atlantic. Arrival at the beaches through forests and beautiful green meadows.
4. CAMINO DE SANTIAGO ON HORSEBACK: THE BEST OF EQUESTRIAN TOURISM IN GALICIA
The french way -One of the options to get to Santiago for pilgrims is to do the Camino de Santiago on the back of a horse since it is also the accredited way that allows you to obtain the Compostelana (the Compostela). One of the possible options is to do the Camino Frances. Starting from the town of O Cebreiro we will arrive in seven days at the Catedral of Santiago de Compostela. However, remember that this is an opportunity for people who already have some experience with horses, since it includes riding for about 7/8 hours a day and also on public land. During the tour you will pass through the Galician Rias, charming villages and immense forests.
Vía de la Plata – the first of the caminos de Santiago officially recognized as the Xacobeo Equestrian Itinerary (between A Mezquita and Santiago de Compostela).